Saturday, June 17, 2006

Engels

The name was Engels. Repeated around the room these two syllables were devoured and disgorged by the crowd assembled. Each intoning the word a different way. A sharper consonant or a lengthened vowel brought forth myriad variations on the theme. Constant though was the same end, of reverent silence. The same extended s, trailing dimmuendo. As if repeating the tetragrammaton YHWH, the secret name of god, a sense of awe would fill both the speaker and the listener. The overall effect was of bearing witness to some ancient and pagan ritual. It was intoxicating and I was intoxicated.
But what new heresy was this I asked, who or what is this Engels. Dispelled were fears of a revival of that seditious doctrine from history's most infamous flunky. So too were hopes of a long awaited world tour from German metal gods Rammstein. Affected by both alcohol and lack of sleep I became convinced that Engels must surely be some minor deity sent down from Valhalla. But in vain were my attempts to find Engels that night.
Instead i was presented with a peculiar, somewhat dull but by no means angelic, as a literal german translation of the name would suggest, student of the mathematical sciences. For those wishing to learn more of this chimera, this peddler in disillusion he can be found at this webblog. As for me though I will continue my quest and answer the question that has haunted me this past day, just what is Engels?

3 Comments:

Blogger Ari Sharp said...

Ah hah, it took me a day or two, but I found the white-on-black (not a racial statement) blog of my favourite Dark Side of the Moon fan from GrogBlogging.

Happy blogging, beerboy.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Eeeeeeeeengels!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Engels.

..
..
..

Engels.

That is all.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home