Sunday, June 18, 2006

GrogBlog!?

Now as you'll all no doubt come to appreciate over the coming weeks i am not at all adverse to a little bit of hyperbole from time to time so that said, Friday's Grog Blog was the world's greatest thing, ever.

Ariving at the pub fairly early I spent an awkward few minutes trying to fit in with my blogging peers. Being new to the game I wasn't particuarly learned in the main topic of conversation and well intentioned efforts by Alex and Nick to make me feel more comfortable had unfortunately the complete opposite effect. One thing that was going to help me fit in though with this crowd was that most useful of social tools, beer and plenty of it. I had quickly came to realisation that these bloggers are actually some really interesting people. I had for instance a conversation with the Amazing Peter Parker for some thirty minutes on his hobby/obsession with bus and train routes. Surprising as it sounds i wasn't trying desperately the whole time to escape at any cost but rather was imbued to some small degree of his enthusiasm and managed to come away with some rather interesting transport related anecdotes. He also i should add enjoys the Ham radio. Roger that.

After witnessing some right vs left action courtesy of TimT and the ephemeral Armagnac I managed to make the acquaintance of the enchanting Erica. A truely delightful girl who's main interest i gather is knitting. Yes not accupuncturing Engels, you conundrum of a man, for more information on Engels or on what he is not please see the previous post. He's actually not a bad sort i hope i didn't come across too harshly.

For the whole Engels episode i blame my mischievous mentor Ben and his blue blooded cohort Jon from Sterne. Jon has the special ability of delivering everything he says in an even droll, autocratic tone with always a slight hint of a sneer. I find this sort of fitting for one i consider an 'alpha' blogger', I believe it was him who also introduced me to that particular term. Points to Jon as well for though i didn't see it myself i have it on good authority that he had the audacity to insinuate his signature and a message of good will on the Birthday card of a group adjacent to us in the pub.

After further drinks and mingling, those who had not yet left by Pub's close decided to hit the town. First we found our way to some seedy karaoke bar secreted in one of Melbournes many back alleys. As Bruce rightly lamented the actual karaoke level, a scientific quantity, was abysmal. Deciding if we were going to do karaoke we had to do it right we set forth and found some crazy Japanese to set us right. Given our own booth a la Lost in Translation the group of us we proceeded to spend the rest of the night belting out the classics. I seem to remember giving a strirring account of the tenor part for Ken in Aqua's timeless duet Barbie Girl.

So it was that after a short stint in Hungry Jacks wherin i discovered to my intense displeasure that the fucking Sundae machine wasn't working, wearily I caught the first train home on Saturday morning, which if you're interested Peter was the 5.10 to Frankston.

7 Comments:

Blogger divinetrash said...

Well, fuck me if you're not a great blogger already! Keep it up; you were clearly made for the medium. Your natural style is very entertaining. It was fortuitous that you had the good taste to want to legitimate your presence at the grog blog!

On another matter entirely, I look forward to beginning my mentorship of your love-life.
Fact: About a month after I stopped meddling in Ben's romantic affairs he got a girlfriend! This is the kind of proven track record anyone would want on their side, surely.

7:12 AM  
Blogger James said...

Hey thanks for all the shameless flattery Alex. Looks like Ben will have to work pretty damn hard to hold on to his position as my No.1 Fan.

And with that track record how could I not want you to take immediate control over my life. So far it's Love-1 to James-0, get meddling.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten about your rendition of "Barbie Girl", but now it's all coming back. You were Ken, you say? Then who was doing the Cookie Monster part? Perhaps I'm still a little confused.

Alex is right, by the way: this is already a top blog. If she can convert your obvious verbal talent into a smoothtalking, chatting-up skillset, then you'll quickly reverse that love scorecard. If she can't, then she sucks as a mentor.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Charming AND delightful? Why thankyou. Aren't I the lucky one. And Alex is right, you were a born blogger. I'm looking forward to your band reviews too.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Thank you for the kind words James. Your cheque is in the mail. The others are right: no need to be self deprecating, your blog is looking hella fancy. Keep it up, yo.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

You call yourself a protege?

Quit showing me up and fetch me a danish.

10:23 PM  
Blogger James said...

Shucks, thanks for the support guys.

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home