Monday, September 18, 2006

Fuck Meredith

The Meredith Music festival is awful. The past few days I haven’t been able to sleep so strong was my fear that tickets would be so plentiful that I’d be somehow deceived into accepting one, again... I remember it well. That sterile, blasphemous field in the remote Victorian countryside. Deceptively serene but amidst the hippies and indie poseurs an undercurrent of dissidence. There were drugs, alcohol and especially marihuana everywhere. Completely non commercial an entirely non profit enterprise. There weren’t even any policeman. So far we’ve established that this festival is anti- the war on drugs (and probably terror), anti- the economy and anti- law and order. And the noise, gods, the noise they passed off as music. It was a long way from what was played in my day.
Just look at the bands they’ve got playing this year;
Datarock – Norwegian “new rave” according to wikipedia no doubt a pseudonym for “old rave” just with more street credibility.
Midlake – Completely unobjectionable indie rock.
Augie March – I heard a song of theirs on Nova so I guess they’re cool.
The Drones – I read an interview with the Drones the other day where they not only bagged John Howard but also defended the ludicrous Black Armband fabrication of Australian history. Needless to say I’ll never listen to them again.
The Soundtrack of Our Lives – This band just, actually sucks.
The Bamboos – No ones listened to funk music since the early eighties.
Girl Talk – I hear this band strip on stage thus further demonstrating the complete lack of morality in our nations youth. Also, and from their myspace, “It bangs as a continuous mix packed with wildly disparate Top 40 genres and eras.”
City of Ballarat Brass band – As the great conductor Thomas Beecham once stated, ‘theres a place for everything; for brass bands it’s in an open field and several miles away.”
Tapes and Tapes – More generic indie prattle.
Concertino Trio – Not only is this band not either Australian or American but they’re actually from Communist Russia. No thanks, Comrade.


So yeah, that’s why I’m not going to Meredith this year.


And also because they sold out of tickets in about half an hour.

3 Comments:

Blogger ManicLovely said...

I couldn't work out whether that was meant to be sarcastic or not. But I'm notoriously bad at that.

I hope the bit about things on Nova being cool WAS sarcastic along with the bit about dissing non-profit, non-commercial things.

However I hope the bit about Funk music and new-rave were serious.

Simpfully yours, Svetlana

12:13 AM  
Blogger James said...

It seemed all pretty so obvious to me when I wrote it. But I guess thats probably because I'm already aware of my own opinions.

Rereading I see that I was being serious in a few parts. ie. Brass bands are very much lame, Top 40 music does suck.

But for the most part Svet, it was pretty much loaded with sarcasm. So yes I do hate Nova and do actually really love Meredith (though I'd love it a lot more with tickets)

5:35 AM  
Blogger ManicLovely said...

Oh you dooooo love Merideth?
Well I guess that makes sense now.
It sounds like it would be fun with alot of drugs thats for sure.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home