Friday, July 14, 2006

Review: Down Hlls Home - The Get Go's

The Brunswick Hotel is a nice place to have a drink. Random face-mask wall hangings, Abbey Road on the stereo, the Aladdin pinball adventure (watch out for the spinning lamp) and helpful barstaff who tarry not for you to finish the beer your drinking before pestering you to buy another.

Down Hills Home headlined last Saturday’s show. Their music was not particularly memorable and since I have yet to master the ability of taking down pertinent notes at a show this review will be brief. The only notes I left for myself to decipher now for this band was, Needs Frontman? I was referring to the insistence of my companions that the band was in dire needs of a stage presence. At the time I argued the point since music the quality of a bands music has nothing to do with the theatrical was it is presented. Looking back though I’m inclined to repent my view, the thing with Down Hills Home is that they were just boring. Their music was plain rock with country influences and although they had a lot of members and instruments they just had nothing going on. The fact that noone did anything while up on stage only compounded the tedium.

The Get Go’s who played in support were just terrible. It was the sort of music that you could play and sing along to in your room with your electric guitar and Pearl Jam tab sheet. The extent of my notes on this band was perhaps a little unfairly, they fucking suck. The two members of the Get Go’s just played bland rock whilst singing irreverently about their feelings or whatever mundane triviality.

The band Eon Automatic opened the nights show and were the reason I was there. The lovely Erica of One Foot Down the Rabbit Hole... renown is the bands singer. Consequently in a rare display of integrity I won’t be writing a review of Eon Automatic for reasons of a Conflict of Interest. You’ll all just have to go see them for yourselves.

2 Comments:

Blogger divinetrash said...

They really are pretty frickin' fantastic, though. I don't care about conflict of interest!

Come out to Loop on Friday (23 Meyers Place in the city). I will be there after 9pm and have invited a gaggle of charming single girls, (including our friend Erica). I've invited Ben, Russ and Nick, too, and I'll try to track down Jon. So, there'll be some nice bloggers to talk to if my lovelife meddling is a bust.

7:08 PM  
Blogger James said...

Hey thanks for the invite Alex. I will surely by there.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home